Well… it was a library issue. Upgraded it, working now. Unfortunately, when I added it, the dependency manager didn’t add the last version, but it’s not its fault. The source code is not correctly tagged it seems!
So… I just tried implementing ActivityPub again… and once again, something’s wrong! Yey… When I hit the follow button on a different instance, I receive the request, process it and send a signed Accept. But it seems it’s not actually working… At least the accept part…
My website is growing, not in terms of views, because I’m not aware of that. Maybe I should add some non-intrusive analytics. Anyways, it’s growing in terms of functionality. However, since I’m using a static website generator, it makes it complicated to add some interactive functionalities. One of those features is ActivityPub. ActivityPub is, in the words of the spec: The ActivityPub protocol is a decentralized social networking protocol based upon the ActivityStreams 2.0 data format. It provides a client to server API for creating, updating and deleting content, as well as a federated server to server API for delivering notifications and content. I have tried to build complete support for ActivityPub in the website before, but it didn’t succeed and I ended up just removing it instead of fixing it. In the meanwhile, I thought about creating a Pleroma instance, but what’s the point? I already have a section for micro posts.
I’ve been in spring cleanup mode since yesterday and I started on GitHub and ended up archiving and deprecating dozens of repos that were either unmaintained or actually supposed to be deprecated.
On this website, I just removed the ActivityPub support of my website because of two reasons: it had bugs and wasn’t working properly (I think) and there were only two or three people following me, being 2 of them bots. The other one also follows me through RSS so I hope I don’t affect them very much.
Today and tomorrow I’ll also proceed to make some internal upgrades and decouple the webmentions from the static generation process of this website, inspired by Jan-Luka’s post. I need to upgrade to Caddy 2 as well as some other changes I might share later.
I just spent a lot time trying to send signed requests to accept ActivityPub followers. It’s not working! I make the requests to Mastodon and their servers reply with 202 but the ‘Cancel follow request’ button does not change to ‘Unfollow’ and I don’t know what the problem is. In addition, the test suite has not working for over a year it seems. Ugh…