Jim shows how he uses the Well-Known links resource to show the links he has to other websites. For example, going to
/.well-known/links?domain=example.com shows all the pages in his website that link to
Today I had a bit too much time that I decided to work on my website. In the morning, I made a few tweaks to the home page in order to make it more useful: added some contact and social media links, as well as links for some pages on my website that are not included in the navigation bar. I think I achieved a neat result.
A few months ago, I released an article where I showed most versions of my website before I started integrating IndieWeb into it. I think it is nice to have an overview of how your website evolved with time. So today I present to you all the major changes to my website after IndieWeb.
Just made a very small update to my website. Now, I can update reading progress much easily: I just need to go to the book’s page and then I will have this options:
When reading physical books, I have a shortcut that allows me to scan the barcode of the book and enter the page. However, e-books don’t come with a barcode with the ISBN and I’m measuring the progress in percentage - it’s also possible to measure in pages though!
Over the past few days, I procrastinated quite a bit instead of working on my thesis. I have this huge peaks of performance mixed with high procrastination. I guess this happens somewhat to most people. Either way, while procrastinating I added quite some new features to this website, and improved some already existing things, both visually and internally.
- Fixed the values in
<title>which were wrong in some pages. I also changed the website name to be more descriptive.
- Fixed the truncation of text and the way I add the ellipsis when generating excerpts from longer posts to fit in the descriptions.
- Added image resizing on my media endpoint using ImgProxy, which I run locally in my VPS and then upload the resized images to bunny.net.
- Added Reddit integration in this website, both using Reddit’s API for upvotes (likes), comments (replies) and new posts. For the webmentions, I am using brid.gy.
- Added support for channels so I can hand pick which sections to put my posts when using Micropub clients.
- Added support for video posts, like this example.
- Added support for audio posts. I don’t have an example yet as this is a feature that I think I would more likely use for personal use. However, I am still on the fence on how to protect the media files. Right now I support private posts, but that’s it: the post itself cannot be accessed, but what’s the best way to protect the media?
I also fixed some other things and make some slight visual updates to be more consistent.
I was speaking to @seblog about categorisation of contents in our websites and some ideas came into mind:
- Now I have sections for each post type and a special section for posts that should so up in home.
- Sections are automatically added to the posts when they are created based on their post type.
- Realistically, who will follow a feed based on the post type? And why?
- @seblog suggests a more audience-based categorisation, such as “personal”, “tech”, etc. I’ve had that way back in the past and I really don’t remember if it was good or not. However, I understand the appeal.
- @seblog said that types distiction are not that useful, it’s just easy to make.
- We both already have tags. But tags feel too overly-specific.
- Both tags and sections are… at the end of the day… taxonomies.
- On my website I could technically achieve this with either tags or sections. Sections seem best as they are more general. Also, audience-based names would not collide with post types so they could still be at the root of the website, such as
- Manually categorising a post every time we post can become arduous.
- Is it worth it?
Let’s conclude with taxonomies are hard. What do you think?
As you might have read on my meta page, I inteded to remove support for ActivityPub:
I am considering removing the ActivityPub support from my website. Right now, my website is able to provide posts formatted as ActivityPub entries; post to my followers when I write new content; and receive comments via ActivityPub.
What bothers me is that the logic is a bit flaky and it fails quite often. Besides, I only have 2 followers and one of them is a testing account of mine. Removing it would cleanup the code and possibly not hurt anyone.
I just did it for the reasons mentions above. It’s a bit sad, but it gives me some peace of mind nevertheless. Maybe in the future, there will be a more straightforward protocol that is more massively adopted that I can implement. For now, I don’t see the use for this website.